Monday, July 15, 2013

Rainy Season

I was tasked with explaining Dropbox.com and creating a corresponding flier to share with a 25 minute presentation (I'm not sure I can talk about myself for 25 minutes let alone Dropbox.com). I have had a Dropbox account for a number of years and feel comfortable saying that it is the "civilian" version of M+Box (the U of MI version of Dropbox, how's that for clarity) - for this reason the assignment became difficult because I had to explain how to use it without sounding trite. I found myself creating a flier that gives reasons WHY to use it and a few tips on HOW to use it and what you will see. {{Spoiler Alert}} My small-group presentation will focus on creating a free account and sharing files/folders with others once you have your account set up. 

One of the things I really love about Dropbox's online presence is their artwork. Once I figured out how to do a screenshot on a Mac (it saves to your desktop, BTW) I was saving just about every cute and clever image I could find. Since I couldn't fit them all on to my flier I thought I would post a couple favorites here.
"Hey, Pal!"
It's worth nothing that Open Office isn't the best platform for creating fliers, even when you're in a bind. I hate to say this, but Microsoft Word would have saved me some extreme frustration (maybe even some tears) because I know how to make text boxes in Word and it is NOT INTUITIVE in Open Office. This project made me really miss working with design software like Quark because of the control you have over the project. All that being said, I think I will find myself at the campus computer store purchasing MS Office sometime this week. 



And with that, I leave you with another favorite image from the Dropbox site.


2 comments:

  1. Eliza I always enjoy reading your blog posts! I also struggled with creating and formatting my handout (maybe also shed a few tears). I am going to do some research into better/easier ways to create hand outs. I think this will be a helpful tool as a teacher and something that I have never learned. I will keep you posted on what I find and if there are any better solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to you I am now daydreaming about Prezi!!

    ReplyDelete