Saturday, March 15, 2014

Sun Protection

I’ve had a lot of practice wearing “many hats” for the greater good of my work/volunteering, but yesterday was a new experience with a new set of hats.  I was both teacher and student at the MACUL conference. My feet felt firmly planted in BOTH realms as I sat in on the sessions; so when one presenter asked for a raise of hands from teachers, I raised my hand, but later introduced myself to him as a student.  When he started showing student work and talking about dropping rubrics and focusing on audience, my teacher ear perked up and I started thinking seriously about what he was saying and how I could bring this in to my own practice.  

David Theune teaches high school ELA at Spring Lake High School in West Michigan. He’s been teaching for over eleven years and started focusing on “authentic audience” about two years ago. His presentation,             Friday Night Lights: Connecting with Community, took us through his experience of giving less attention to rubrics, and more attention to providing his students an audience for their writing projects. Additionally, he shared a community engagement project he developed for his students that I would love to bring in to my future classroom.

“Authentic Audience”
What does that mean in an ELA classroom? In many classrooms the students write for the teacher, we call this “teacher as examiner” and it can be problematic and difficult for students. We experience that in our grad school classes regularly. We know how to write to the expectations of the teacher and remain focused on meeting/exceeding those expectations rather than writing the best and most appropriate paper based on the rubric. So, take away teacher as examiner, and take away a rubric, and replace them with classmates or some other audience who is not going to actually give a grade for the work. I interpret David’s “authentic audience” to mean someone who will read/see/hear student work for the sake enjoying the work, rather than with the express purpose of assigning a grade. I want this for my students. I want them to understand that there will not always be a teacher as examiner and that they will find their future selves writing to varied audiences. That is not to say that it isn’t important to know how write to that audience (college/job applications/testing), but I think it is more important for my students to be comfortable communicating effectively (written or verbally).

David told us that he felt rubrics were “forcing students to work toward a minimum grade, not their maximum potential.”  He dumped the rubric and changed to this practice after seeing students give personal time and effort to extracurricular activities like drama and sports - activities that do not earn a grade. He noticed that students were forming relationships, building connections, and collaborating in ways that he was not seeing in his classroom. He wanted to start giving his students a tangible result for their work and found that an authentic audience could do that for him. His students have produced work that they have shared with students at other schools, narratives that they have written and produced as videos on youtube.com, and other mediums. He admits that some students struggle without the rubric and explains that he works with those students during the one on one conferencing he does nearly each class period.

David gave a brief description of a project he did with his students that really captured my attention and imagination. Students are required to write research papers and he decided to give his students’ research PURPOSE. He had students research local non-profit organizations and write their papers about the organization based on research they did both with Directors who worked there and through other sources. While the students worked on their papers, he worked with his local community foundation to secure grant money that he would later give to the organizations researched by his students. The final drafts were shared with their classmates and the non-profits they profiled. The students then voted for three organizations to which they would donate $350 each. He said there was a case where students made impassioned pleas for their organization saying that $350 would “go further” at their small organization than their classmate’s more established non-profit. I could imagine this sort of activity in my future classroom. I want my students to feel connected to their communities, to experience making a donation, and to build an understanding of community engagement.


David Theune’s enthusiasm was contagious. It reminded me about the excited conversations I had with my classmates this summer, when we were riding high on the waves of our idealism. My excitement and idealism is alive and well, albeit a little dormant as I feel burned by the sun that is teaching, planning, and schooling. Spring is coming and I am re-awakening - ­my excitement is brimming. I feel energized and hopeful!

16 comments:

  1. I have to say I enjoyed David's presentation a lot too. His ideas seem to fit well with the kind of teacher I imagine you being.

    The idea of "teacher as examiner" strikes a familiar chord. When I think about the writing I have done throughout my education, it has all in the end been for a teacher (or professor or grader). In some ways, I feel this held me back from writing more interesting and enjoyable pieces.

    When you think of all the different writers in the world, not one of their pieces could possibly be loved by everyone who reads it, yet we ask our students to write something to our personal and subjective standards. I think that limits them both in motivation and in creativity and meaningfulness. Why should I put all my effort into something that one person will read once and may not like no matter what?

    I'll stop rambling, it's more fun to hear you thinking about this. It was a really cool presentation and I'm glad we went!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea!! Not only the non-profit organization thing that the presenter did but the idea of an authentic audience. While rubrics generally align with state standards they make it hard for students to be excited for assignments. I think having pen-pals or something to that affect would be great in both an ELA and World Language classroom because it gets the students writing and thats what we want right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, pen pals would be a great authentic audience...

      Delete
  3. I too was really engaged with Mr. Theune and loved what he had to say about audience in relation to his ELA classrooms. Something I struggle with now are students who ask me continuously why they need to write for a certain assignment (think: "Ms. Strait why do we have to write this?"). The age-old adage of "because I said so" just doesn't work (obviously) and I think that what we learned in this session can really help us to answer this perpetual student question better. They would be writing for a purpose (which they would always be aware of) and would hopefully see how their writing impacts those around them. Students should see how they need to craft their writing for their audience in a variety of ways while communicating. I too was really intrigued by the non-profit idea particularly because it was so relevant to their lives in that area. I definitely want to see something like this implemented in my own teaching practice in the future. Thanks for getting me thinking about Mr. Theune again! (also, the lightning round?! empathy=yes)

    ReplyDelete
  4. David’s presentation was impressive! One guy from the back of the room asked, “I just want to know – where do you get all this energy from?! I’m sitting back here wondering why I feel so tired after a day of work.” David’s response – “We have got to grab some beers and talk about this! But no really, good support system, and…I’m happy, I’m happy doing what I’m doing, and that’s enough from me.” He was honest about trying and sometimes failing, and being fine with that, which was motivating. He was authentic about the whole struggle that brought him to where he is with his students today, and I really appreciate that. His look into why students are willing to work sounds like common sense – valuing partnerships / relationships, enjoying a chance to implement creativity, and choosing an audience they actually want to address. It may be logical, but I guess it’s not just common sense or we’d all be doing it. He leaves us with a question to think about, “Are your kids working for a grade, or because learning is awesome?” Hopefully we can succeed in creating an environment in which learning is awesome for our students, and teaching is awesome for us.

    Recommended reading from David: Daniel Pink’s Drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting his recommended reading, I almost forgot about that.

      Delete
  5. Eliza!

    I wish I had attended this session, but I'm glad you gave such a thorough summary. Authentic audience is an issue that I am passionate about and hope to make an important part of my future classroom even though this year it's been sorely absent from my experience.

    When I worked at Clonlara, because I taught such small groups of students, I had very good luck finding authentic audiences. In one of my classes, students wrote practice resumes and we conducted practice interviews in the classroom. For the end of the unit, I contacted many Ann Arbor businesses (Cupcake Station, Oz Music, Name Brand Tattoo, and a Roos Roast), all of whom agreed to do short practice interviews with my students. I was amazed at their generosity!

    I also worked with park rangers at various local parks to organize field trips for testing the water. This was for a science class, but I was helping the students write their research papers.

    Basically, people in the community are amazingly willing to help out. I think it's just a matter of making the time to reach out. Here's to finding many authentic audiences for our students!

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I love that you worked with folks from the community for that activity. I would love to have the opportunity to teach my students about resumes and job applications. I talk about it sometimes but to have an activity like that would give "teacher as examiner" more credibility. Can you imagine if we worked at the same school!? We would figure out how to do cool stuff like this all the time! Thanks for the great comments and for re-energizing me with tales of your awesome experiences!!

      Delete
  6. Eliza as always I love reading your posts because your writing is so full of emotions. I feel like you are speaking to me when I read you posts and in this post I can hear the excitement in your voice and I love it!! Because of my subject area I admittedly do not think about writing very often, but our writing 430 has helped me with this a lot and it seem like many of the ideas that David presented align with our discussions in that class. We have spent a lot of time thinking about the audience we are asking our students to write for and how that can greatly affect their writing.

    I can see the benefit of throwing away the rubric (less restrictions) but my math oriented mind is freaking out at this idea!! I also should mention that I would be one of the students that would need support without a rubric, I generally use them as a road map to writing papers. How does he fairly assess his students? How would you if you took away rubrics? It seems that the absence of rubrics would make being subjective very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to know more about his grading process... I like rubrics because I like order and structure and don't see myself throwing them out. I also need structure and would definitely need something in place of the rubric to provide that for me. I'm so happy that you are in 430!

      Delete
  7. This idea of an authentic audience is inspiring - but I think there's a catch. My students don't pay attention to form, to aesthetics, or to coherence at all; I've blamed this on my rubrics, which do not set expectations for these criteria (something I'm starting to change). However, with an authentic audience, I think students would start to come around. Instead of using private blogs and/or Google docs, a public audience might inspire more creativity and attention to detail.

    But how do you make this authentic audience? And how do you invest students in the process? If a student doesn't write for a teacher, is the assumption that they WILL for other people? And after then, how do you assess the writing for growth without a rubric or set of criteria?

    Gosh, this all sounds amazing if we didn't live in an age of big data and quantitative analysis in education. We need evidence for our claims and for student achievement, not just some community member saying, "Wow, this student writes well!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The assignment he highlighted for authentic audience bit was a narrative that the students wrote and workshopped extensively. He sent letters home to parents at the beginning of the semester/year to let them know what the students would be doing. He also sent notices out when the final product was finished so they would be seen by the outside world (grandparents, other teachers, etc). All of that is to say that he did a lot of work to generate the authentic audience. He admits openly that there were a few students who just wouldn't buy into it and he worked with them to develop their narratives differently.

      He did mention that most of his students earn As in his class, and that they work hard for them. My assumption is that he is grading them based on meeting benchmarks throughout the writing process, rather than a final rubric at the end. I'm a little fuzzy on his rubric and grading but might drop him an email with some questions when things settle down because I'm really curious.

      Delete
  8. First, I love the idea of students voting between different proposals to raise funds for a community cause. When thinking about creating that authentic audience, having students writing for a known group (funders, college board...etc) and teaching them how to address them is wonderful. Giving his students a very clear purpose for writing is also essential. It's evident to me that the students felt that purpose and were able to rise to the challenge.

    I wonder what the benefit of abandoning the rubric was. How does he assess their learning? Does removing the rubric give students a lack of grounding and expectations? Can there not be a rubric designed to get students writing for said audience without encouraging students to do the minimum? I hesitate to abandon rubrics, as we've been learning how essential they can be towards pushing students to perform. Remove the rubric, I fear students would face anxiety and frustration at not knowing what to expect.

    Having seen so many of you posting about Theune's presentation, I'm sad I missed it! It gives me a lot to think about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His Prezi is embedded in the post and he has an online presence, I think you might be able to see him give this presentation if you look for it!

      p.s. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to dump the rubric!

      Delete
  9. Eliza, your post generated such an interesting discussion, and I was very grateful that you let me know about David Theune. We've been in contact since the conference and I'm thinking about how to fit him into a future iteration of ED 504 as a guest speaker. I may be asking you for suggestions on this front...

    ReplyDelete